Christmas Gift Ideas: 10 Beautiful Things and 10 Places to Buy Them in Milan (and online!)
Desiring something doesn’t cost a thing, right? And just like I’m definitely a fan of desire, I’m never short of Christmas gift ideas.
Someone once said that the pleasure was all about the wait, but let’s get real: pleasure itself is really receiving the gift.
Here’s what I would like for Christmas (but also for my birthday which happens to be just a month later) and where to buy these 10 beautiful things in Milan (or online).
1) A MINIMAL PIECE OF JEWELRY – FROM ONE OF MY FAVOURITE JEWELRY STORES
You’ll find my favourite jewelry stores here (there are 5!). You’ll find the perfect gift for a friend, your girlfriend or your mom at one of these stores. Want a few tips? Here’s my wishlist!
* A pair of super minimal earrings (Giolina e Angelo)
* A gold ring (Pilgiò)
* A curvy ring in 9 carat gold (Atelier Vm)
2 – A THOUSAND BOOKS – AT LIBRERIA RIZZOLI IN THE GALLERIA
One of my favourite libraries (you’ll find the list here) is without a doubt Rizzoli in the Galleria. Majestic, luminous, in the center and offering a vast selection. There are thousands of books I’d like (here’s my Anobii profile), but the ones I’d like immediately are the following three. Need a few tips? Here’s my wishlist!
* Purity (Jonathan Franzen, Einaudi). “Purity Tyler knows almost nothing of her past: she doesn’t know the identity of her father and does not know why her mother is a fragile and tattered person. Andreas Wolf tries to make people forget his past and has set up a giant of illegally disclosed information, the Sunlight Project. When their paths cross, the secrets threaten to explode and the strength of the ideals begins to falter.”
* La separazione del maschio (Francesco Piccolo, Einaudi). “The many lives of a forty year-old man: marriage, desire, parenthood, betrayal, guilt. And above all, sex. A scandalous and disarming novel as a confession.”
* Levels of Life (Julian Barnes, Einaudi). “This is a history of air (balloons, levity, borders) and a history of the earth (ballasts, skirmishes, routine). It is a story of precipices and violent falls, after two things have been combined and no distance is enough to separate them. This, in a word, is an invincible love story “
3 – SCANDINAVIAN DECOR – FROM DESIGNREPUBLIC IN THE COLONNE AREA
Those of you who follow me on Snapchat already know: I’m decorating my new place, which is a mixed blessing for anyone who has ever renovated an apartment. If you’d like to give someone a gift that has something to do with the home, I have no doubt: stop by DesignRepublic in the Colonne area and you’ll find what’s right for you. The pieces are (almost) all of Scandinavian inspiration and in minimal style. They recently opened an entire floor dedicated to one of my favourite brands, Muuto. In need of a few tips? Here’s my wishlist!
* The suspended pink light (the Ambit by Muuto): simple, essential, light, beautiful. I can already see it above the table!
* Coordinated seats, super light and comfortable (these too by Muuto)
* This incredible mirror (the Strap by Hay)
4 – PERFUME – FROM MAZZOLARI IN SAN BABILA
My list of perfumes to purchase is infinite, and what better occasion than Christmas to check one off my list. At Mazzolari in Piazza San Babila, one of Milan’s most historic perfume shops (not to mention one of my favourites!) you’ll find a vast selection. Looking for some inspiration? Here’s my wishlist!
* Acqva di Sale (Profvmvm Roma), a fragrance that recalls a desert beach
* Honour (Amouage), the fact that it’s Amouage should be enough to convince you
* Carven Le Parfum (Carven), I can barely describe how wonderful it is
* West Side (Bond), by one of my favourite brands (the gorgeous bottle alone is enough to land it on this list!)
5 – WINE – SU DIVINUM
Wine is always a good idea! If you’d like to gift one (or more) bottles of wine, my advice is to order them online, on one of the many websites dedicated to the sale of wine through e-commerce. I recently discovered Divinum and I fell in love: for a special gift find the perfect bottle on this website, which includes quality picks from little artisanal cellars. Need some advice? Here’s my wishlist!
* A Chardonnay vegano “Puro” with hints of exotic fruit, vanilla and butter to pair with seafood or white meat
* A Barbera dell’Oltrepò Pavese to pair nicely with barbecued meats
6 – A GOURMET Gift – IN VIA SPADARI BEHIND THE DUOMO
Behind the Duomo, between via Spadari and via Hugo, you’ll find a bunch of little shops to purchase a gourmet gift. Looking for a few tips? Here is wishlist!
* A box of dried fruits at Noberasco: in this store you’ll find different confections of ultrachic dried fruit, from the most classic to the strangest. Delicious!
* If you like macaroons, you’ll go crazy at Ladurée!
* The marron glacés at Giovanni Galli are a Milanese institution: the grandparents will never have been so happy!
7 – A LIFETIME MEMBERSHIP TO SPOTIFY OR NETFLIX – ON THEIR WEBSITES
One of the gifts I’m certain would be appreciated by everyone (and especially by lovers of cinema and music) is a membership to Spotify or to Netflix. On the Spotify website you can purchase a gift card for the premium membership, whereas on Netflix it’s possible to order a gift card for a prepaid membership. Easy and a sure hit: if you gift someone a lifetime membership, you’ll make a great impression!
8 – ANYTHING AT COS – FROM COS IN VERCELLI OR CORSO VENEZIA
Let’s make this clear right away: at Cos I’d buy everything, really, because everything is beautiful. If you need to see it to believe it, hop on over to one of the boutiques in Milan, along corso Venezia or along corso Vercelli. Having to limit myself, I’ve established that I have a profound need for the following three pieces: here’s my wishlist!
9 – A TRIP – ON AIRBNB
You can always make a friend happy with a trip, and you could even take the opportunity to go away with him or her! Check out the prices on Skyscanner or VolaGratis, reserve a house on Airbnb and off you go! In 2017, I’d love to see Israel, Valencia, Dublin and… Japan above all else!
10 – SOMETHING TO DO – BE CREATIVE!
One of my favourite gifts to give (and receive!) is something to do: it’s a nice gesture from which the desire to share something together transpires, and always shows your knowledge of the person you’re gifting it to. For example, last Christmas I received a cooking class at Kitchen in via De Amicis (beautiful, good and interesting!). But there’s really ample choice: need a hand? Here’s my wishlist!
* A course to get back in shape (for example, an hour of Pilates a week at Studio 51 between Conciliazione and Pagano…the best for a little “me” time!)
* A day at the thermal baths (for example, at the QcTerme in Porta Romana)
* An online class to stay up to date (my “guru” website offering different university courses from hundreds of universities across the world, including names like Standford, is Coursera)
Did I give you enough ideas? Share your Christmas wishlist on social media using the hashtag #conoscounposto!
Read the original article on Conosco un Posto. This English version was translated by Kelsey Rivett.