Fuorisalone 2017: Where to Eat During Design Week in Milan
Fuorisalone 2017 is almost here and you don’t want to be unprepared! If you will be around during the Design Week, one of the ‘hottest’ for the city of Milan, don’t fear: here is a list of our favourite places for eating, district per district!
- TOKYO TABLE. It is a recently opened restaurant and we wrote about it here. If among one event and another you started to feel some cravings for Japanese food, and in particular for special tiny tapas, this is the right place for you: it is in Via Vigevano, it is pretty and the menu offers a lot of delicious dishes!
- AL FRESCO. It is possibily one of the most beautiful places in the Tortona-Savona area, my favourite for both the Italian dishes with a creative twist and the gorgeous garden that is perfect for this season’s outdoor lunches or dinners. If you have never been there, here is our story from a while ago!
- THE BOTANICAL CLUB. Have you ever tried poke bowls? If the answer is no, you should definitively try the ones at The Botanical Club, that has recently opened this second location (in addition to the one in Isola) right in front of the Mudec. The piece of advice we already gave you? Try this Hawaiian specialty and have a glass of their fantastic homemade gins!
If you need more: Fonderie Milanesi, Carlo e Camilla in Segheria, Cucina Fusetti.
- FONDAZIONE FELTRINELLI. It has only recently opened, but it is already a cult for this area and for the city in general. This beautiful building, in addition to the offices of the Feltrineli group, presents a bookshop and a library, and a bar too, the Babitonga Cafè, where you can enjoy a relaxing break. We have tried their aperitivo and loved the Tokyo Spritz with wasabi and ginger and the countless food proposals.
- MACHA CAFÈ. This cafè is all about matcha, the Japanese green tea, and you can stop by for a delicious break, starting from breakfast time to much needed afternoon snack. You can try one of their drinks or enjoy some dessert or burger, totally matcha-based!
- PESCARIA. If you are in a hurry (and you get to this district during strategic hours, in order to avoid the queue), you can stop at Pescaria for a fish sandwich. You can enjoy raw veggies, fried mussels or the super famous fish burgers at this tiny eatery behind Corso Como!
- PANINI DURINI. Panini Durini has some of our favourite sandwiches in Milan, and they have several locations throughout the city. You can have breakfast (the croissants are amazing here, not to talk about the matcha latte!) or lunch at the one on the corner of Corso Magenta, choosing from the list of very delicious sandwiches.
- MARTA BIBENDUM. The gorgeous space by Rossana Orlandi, that everybody knows (or should know!) about in Milan for its ‘crazy’ design pieces, also hosts chef Pulini’s restaurant. The atmosphere is cozy and warm, the menu is delicate and innovative: if you are not fed up with design just yet, then this is the right place!
- TERRAZZA TRIENNALE. Is there anything better during this season in Milan than relaxing at a rooftop bar? Terrazza Triennale is with no doubts among the most incredible ones in the city, and there is even the Osteria con Vista restaurant. The view is marvellous and the atmosphere at sunset is spectacular. Try it to believe it!
PORTA VENEZIA DISTRICT
- GESTO. You can only love Gesto, that’s a fact. This pretty place close to the red metro stop Porta Venezia offers delicious aperitivos and great dinners. The tapas are all original here, to be enjoyed with a good cocktail!
- RIAD FOOD GARDEN.Have you ever had a drink surrounded by cacti and succulents? At Riad, in Viale Piave, you can have it and if you like the plants you can even buy them! Excellent Moscow Mule and Ugo cocktails can be enjoyed with some of their delicious ethnic inspired dishes!
- L’OV. Not only eggs (OV declines from uovo, egg in Italian), although you won’t find such a good omelette anywhere else in the city, but also fantastic cocktails and prime quality burgers are some of the food you can order at this 30’s New York style restaurant. It is the perfect spot at any time of the day, for a good breakfast before heading to visit the new Porta Venezia in Design, for a sunny outdoor lunch or a relaxing aperitivo!
If you need more: the café at Rotonda della Besana, Pavè, Clotilde Bistrot.
- LA BALERA DELL’ORTICA. Between a waltz, an arrosticino and a good glass of wine of the house this is the right place for distancing yourself from the trendy Fuorisalone parties and travel back in time, for at least 50 years. The atmosphere is jolly, outdoor tables, pretty lights, a unique location that you can try both a lunch and dinner. And enjoy the Spring sun!
- JOY BAR. Design is the key at this very new café, located in the historical building of the Valvassori Peroni library. Get there for a quick snack at any time of the day or for a drink in the evening: if you are lucky you can listen to one of the many live concerts they organize!
- SANTERIA PALADINI. It is a great place in this district at any given hour. take a moment for some me-time and relax at their pretty courtyard and have a good burger or an outdoor aperitivo!
If you need more: East Market Diner, Birrificio Lambrate, Upcycle Bike Café.
- CAPRA E CAVOLI. A big indoor Provençal style garden, with pastel beach umbrellas, plants and flowers of all kinds, tiny rocking chairs and stone tables: this is what will welcome you entering Capra e Cavoli, a vegetarian restaurant in the heart of Milan’s Isola district. Their dishes are a real discovery of endless different flavours, prime quality ingredients and sophisticated presentations, because looks are importnat, especcially during Design Week!
- OTTO. We all know about it. THE place to be in the Paolo Sarpi area is Otto, at any time of the day. During the week you can also bring you laptop with you and sort the last e-mails from there, otherwise go there for the food and their Quadrotti. Fun and hipsteria are included.
- BERBERÈ. If you are in this area and craving for some pizza, check out Berberè, one of our favourite pizzerias in Milan. Seasonal toppings, gourmet ingredients and a cozy atmosphere won’t disappoint you!
Read the original article on Conosco un Posto. This English version was translated by Tamara Ilic.