Where to Celebrate Your Graduation in Milan: Here Are All the Places Sorted by University
Whether you study at Università Statale of Milan or Cattolica, at Bicocca or Bocconi, at San Raffaele or Naba, it doesn’t matter. The only thing that matters after all the formalities, including the handshake with your professor, is where to enjoy a refreshment or a nice aperitivo. Whether your convocation be in the morning or the afternoon, the question is always the same: “Where should I go with friends and family to celebrate?”.
Here are a few addresses, divided per university: a bunch of places to enjoy your big day!
* GIACOMO CAFFÈ. Few people know about it, but this bar inside the Palazzo Reale in Piazza Duomo, which is managed by the same people behind the lovely Giacomo Arengario inside the Museo del Novecento, could be a classy alternative to organize refreshments after the ceremony. I did that at the time of my graduation and enjoyed it: a refined place, which also offers the possibility of reserving the whole room and ordering a few glasses of wine or cocktails.
* CAFFÈ COLIBRÌ. Unfortunately it didn’t exist yet when I graduated, but the caffè Colibrì on via Laghetto is a true blessing for the area: colourful tables, tons of books and a truly adorable atmosphere, a few steps from the university’s gates.
* ROTONDA BISTROT. One of my favourite places in Milan is without a doubt the Rotonda della Besana, which houses exhibits and an art gallery in addition to a small bistro with a nice open outdoor space, ideal for summer convocations. Even when it is cold, the location is magical and is worth a visit with friends and relatives.
* GARDENIA. Aside from being a beautiful flower shop, this place along via Mora is also a delicious pastry shop and, in general, a small and friendly place where you can spend an afternoon between croissants, salty little snacks and plants. You can host your guests among all the orchids and plants, as if you were in a wonderful greenhouse.
* PASTICCERIA VISCONTEA. Along via De Amicis you can enjoy this classic Milanese place that not only is a perfect place for desserts but also for its aperitivo with a bunch of little bites: you’ll have so much to choose from!
* CANTINA CARDUCCI. From the outside, you may not think it’s very credible but trust me in that this rustic wine bar along via Carducci could be the right solution after a late afternoon convocation that can be celebrated with a nice glass of wine, some meats and cheeses. It’s convenient as it is less than 5 minutes walking distance from Cattolica.
* FUORIMANO OTBP. This place is exactly the kind that you’d expect to find (almost) in the middle of nowhere, and exactly the kind you’d be so pleased to come across. An airy room that is well decorated, a cute outdoor courtyard for summer evenings with good cocktails (although a tad expensive), the Fuorimano has been one of my favourite places over the last year. Try it (perhaps for your graduation) to believe it.
* DOPOLAVORO BICOCCA. A few kilometres from the Fuorimano is another oasis in the desert, the Dopolavoro inside the Hangar Bicocca. Simple, with a nice outdoor area and relaxed atmosphere, this place could be the right one for you if you’re graduating from Bicocca (or even if you’re considering celebrating your graduation in a more “marginal” part of the city).
BOCCONI // IULM // NABA // IED
* FONDERIE MILANESI. Spacious, cool and with a nice outdoor space, the Fonderie Milanesi solves a great deal of problems for those looking for a place to celebrate, especially during aperitivo time.
* SANTERIA SOCIAL CLUB. This place along via Toscana is also pretty big, meaning you won’t have to make any difficult decisions in terms of guests, and it is located strategically with respect to the different universities in the area. Be careful to check the calendar of events, because at this Santeria there are often some interesting evening events going on.
* UN POSTO A MILANO. Regardless of the name, this place is not one of my favourites in Milan, but it is still a good alternative to consider if you will be having a lot of people there and wish to have an outdoor space. The atmosphere at this place in Cascina Cuccagna is informal but well maintained.
POLITECNICO (LEONARDO) // SAN RAFFAELE // UNIMI (LAMBRATE)
* UPCYCLE CAFÈ. At this place along via Ampère, which can easily remind one of an office, you’ll be able to celebrate even if you don’t have a bike with you. All you need are friends willing to celebrate with you and enjoy the good cocktails that are served here.
* SANTERIA PALADINI. A versatile place, great for brunch and to work a bit at one of the tables or simply to have a drink outdoors, Santeria is perfect especially in the summer thanks to its small courtyard that fills itself with romantic little lights in the evening.
* SPIRIT DE MILAN. Unfortunately there aren’t a ton of places in the Bovisa area, but this former crystal factory is the happening spot in the area. The setting is striking and you’ll be able to have dinner, an aperitivo or simply enjoy something to drink as you listen to a live concert.
What do you say, have you found enough inspiration? My word of advice is to always contact the places you liked directly and inform yourself on hours and prices, that change according to the number of guests.
In the meantime, enjoy the end of your studies and, most of all, happy graduation!
Read the original article on Conosco un Posto. This English version was translated by Kelsey Rivett.